When it comes to the business universe, gemba is a place where value is originated. The most general use of this very term is in the manufacturing sector where the gemba is the shop or factory floor. Besides this, gemba can really be any place, like a building spot in the construction department, the sales floor in the retail department, or someplace in the service provider department which interacts directly with the customer. For instance, a car dealership showroom.
And when it comes to lean manufacturing, the gist of Gemba walk is the issues in the business process or the easily visible production line and the best improvisation is derived from paying a visit to the real place where the leaders can easily notice the status of the process for themselves.
Read on for the tools involved in the gemba walk:
- Creation of a hypothesis
This hypothesis will further explain the purpose of the Gemba walk. The professionals may interrogate with in-depth questions about the production line such as which will be solely based on inspections. If any deviations or problems found, they are addressed as well, which will be solely handled by the production team themselves.
- Preparation of the questions to be asked
This process is implemented in order to review in the ongoing process of the gemba session. For instance, some questions you might want to ask related to equipment and tool maintenance should be like:
- Is there any proof of a preventative maintenance and auditing program in a formal way?
- Is there a specific schedule and tracking record anywhere near the important tools and equipment?
- Are operators indulged in equipment and tool maintenance on a daily basis?
- Has there a Pareto analysis carried out for the unscheduled equipment downtime?
- Also, feel free to share your feedback and experience during the Gemba walk through the area or process.
Make sure the comments are reinforcing and constructive at the same time.
- Preparation of proper notes and assign the homework for the follow up purposes
Use the wh-words like what, who and when in order to track the assignment and create a sense of accountability.
- Establishment of a routine that how frequently there will be gemba sessions conducted for your
This frequency should be on the basis of the desired skill development and severity of issues as well.